Hazard Business History
The following was originally researched and compiled by Frank and Lorna Aden and Marlene Aden Rasmussen, with additional contributions from the writings of Meroe Owens.
1. Elevator/Shoe Repair (Known as the
west elevator). Alfred Reinertson - Rebuilt after a fire destroyed both the
elevator and the depot.
2a. Corn Crib - Belonged to Reinertson Elevator and measured 16'x120'. Corn was stored in the ear and later shelled. Cobs could be purchased for $1.00 per wagon load.
2b.Gas Station - Roy Criffield, Carl Rummel, Floyd Capellen, Clyde Engleman, Lyle Capellen. Lyle moved the business to the present highway location that is now Joe's Motor Co.
2c. Cafe - Ben Clausen, Harley Tischoff, Bill Schroeder, and Clyde McCormick. Francis Lorchick also worked here at one time.
2d. Train Depot - (Reached by crossing a footbridge as the area was swampy) E.R. Davis, Mr. Webb, Bill Hall, Steve Nevel, Ivan Johns.
3. 2nd Livery Barn - Matthias "Teese" Wind. Operated after the 1st livery barn was torn down. Livery was later replaced by a two story structure of which the first floor was a garage and the second was for entertainment such as movies and plays. The garage was run by Otto Walthers, Clarence Jacobsen, and Joe Dally, Ellsworth and Lester Duncan, and later Charlie Graham used it for well supplies. The first floor was later used for dances and basketball games.
4. Pool Hall - Frank Criffield, Roy Criffield, Henry "Heinie" Wiest, Elmer Cain, Tommy Shoopman, George Pratt. The barbershop was part of the pool hall. Barbers who worked there included "Heinie Wiest, John Bell, Roy Plantz, Bob Graham, and Pete Christianson. Art Evans also barbered in Hazard.
5. Implements, Repairs - Fred Anderson, Clarence Trumble.
6. Blacksmith Shop - Open a short time and operator unknown. Added to Trumbles.
7. Hardware - Clarance Trumble. It later became a grocery store with post office operated by Lottie Trumble and then Whitman Trumble. The last use was a tavern in the 1950s.
8. Butcher shop - "Butch" Jensen. Post Office operated by Mrs. Lottie Trumble and Lester Trumble bought cream and eggs and sold feed. An earlier butcher shop operated a block north but was damaged by fire.
9. Grocery Store - Myers Peterson, Mr. Harris. It was destroyed by fire when Mr. Harris owned it.
10. Hazard State Bank - organized in 1907 by D.W. Titus, H.L. Terhune, and F.L. Grammer. Operated by Ed Robinson, Leo Ryan, and later operated as a Co-op by Jim Erazim. Jim and "Babe" Erazim owned a grocery store here.
11. Harness Shop - Harvey Nilsen; Grocery, Howard Pace; Cafe, Pete Kwiatkowski; Cafe, Walter Henderson; Grocery and Post Office, Lottie Trumble; Grocery, Cap Turner and Lena Wilkins.
12. Grocery Store - A.D. Morling, Thomas Donahue. Charlie Graham showed silent movies here with Myrtle Reiter playing the piano.
13. Grocery Store - Thomas Donahue. It was a small building and he later bought out the A.D. Norling store.
14. Telephone Office - George Frink built this and his family operated it with George serving as lineman. Others were Sam Hawks, Mrs. Clarence Jacobson and Marie Holt, the Loomis', Mrs. Art Bussey, Everett Seery, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Stewart, the Red Blanchards, Georgia Brewer Criffield and Bessie Davis. Frank Frink worked as a lineman.
15. General Store - Fred Fuller, W.R. Riggins, Lewis Simonson. Many old-timers remember this as Hazard's largest store with a large line of merchandise. Fullers also operated a ranch which later became the farm of Don and Faye Wendt. Mr. Fuller had a large sheep operation and had hopes of having a railroad spur extending to their place.
16. Grocery Store - Hans Peterson, Roy Brewer, George Stevenson. It burned at the same time the hotel burned.
17. Hotel - Mr. and Mrs. Al Christler, Mrs. Amber Wind, wife of "Teese." The hotel was destroyed by fire.
18. 1st Livery Stable - Mattias "Teese" Wind.
19. Drug Store and Ice Cream Parlor - Leo Hochreiter, Bill Peterson. Wally Nelson used it as a grocery store before moving it to a new location. It may also been used as a cafe.
20. Doctor Office - Dr. Stokes, Dr. Frisbee, Dr. Fort, Dr. Parker, Dr. Jewett.
21. Pool Hall - Built by Judge George Bent as a general merchandise store. Operated by Lew Hennis, George Andrews, Ed Saunders. It became victim to fire.
22. Garage - Roy Brewer, Fred Capellen and Henry Larson, John Croston, Johnny Asher. Burned in the 1940s while owned by Johnny Asher.
23. Grocery Store - Wally Nelson and Berg Nilson, Dan Cronin, Lee Hile, Bert Betts, Ernie Peterson. Tavern and Cafe: Elmer and Bert Cain; Grocery and Locker: George Fors, Elliot and Bernice Brisbane; Tavern and Cafe: Maynard and Coreen Kucera.
24a. Farmer's State Bank - Organized in 1919 by W.F. Sanders, C.A. Rydberg, Carl E. Peters, Seth Richmond, and Fred Rasmussen, stockholders. Operated by Carl Peters. Later used as living quarters for those who had the store which adjoined it to the north. Charlie Hawley ran a Cream Station here. Converted to a cafe by Maynard Kucera.
24b. The Light Plant that operated a few hours in the evening and also on Monday morning so the women could wash clothes. The plant was operated by Victor Gorney. Mr. Gorney said of the single cylinder generator motor, "Everytime she pops, she takes a gallon of gas" It was also used as a Blacksmith Shop by Justice Dailey.
25. Well Drilling, Repairs - Bert Cadwalander.
26. Blacksmith Shop - Charlie Patchin, Justice Dailey. Original building burned and was replaced by the Wiggle Creek Store building moved in by Bert and Elmer Cain for a cafe and tavern. Other eventual owners were Mel Schyler, Bill Sigler, Joe Zouha, Harold Grobe, George Kucera, and Maynard Kucera. Tom Croston used it as a workshop after Maynard Kucera relocated the business across the street.
27. Lumber Yard - Built by Judge George Bent and sold to Dierks Lumber. Operators were Sam Evans, Preston Heater, Vern Wieland, Pete Jacobson, Roy Harbert, Jack Kelly. In the early days lumber was unloaded and hauled out by the wagon loads every day.
28. Elevator - Sam Evans. Referred to as the East Elevator, it was often operated by the same people that managed the lumber yard.
29. Corn Crib (part of the elevator operation) that measured 16'x200'.
30. Stockyards - Built by the railroad and used by many to buy or sell livestock or hold them there temporarily.
31. Car Sales and Livery - Jim Philpot.
32. Last Sod House in Hazard (probably gone by 1912).
33. School - Original frame building became the Richard Bausch farm home. The next frame building with a second story added later, served until the early 1960s until it was replaced by the present brick structure. Hazard High School graduated it's first senior in 1925 and the last seniors were the Class of 1950.
34. Post Office - Operated by Edward and Amelia Munn, it was a frame addition to a sod house. Edward and Amelia Munn owned land purchases by the railroad for the town site of Hazard.
Historic photos of Hazard's early years
Sketches of Hazard in the early 1900s
Hazard Street Map
And ye shall name this town Hazard